2423aNorth American P51D-30NT Mustang NZ2423
Construction number: 124-48266 USAAF serial:45-11513
Shipped from the US on the “Dominion Park”.
Received at the Aircraft Assembly Depot Hobsonville on 27 August 1945.
Placed in rubberised storage at Hobsonville in early 1946.
Transferred to Ardmore by barge and road in February 1947.
Remained cocooned until early 1952.
Flown to storage at No.1 Repair Depot, Rukuhia in August 1952.
With No.2 (Wellington) TAF Squadron 12 July 1954-25 October 1955.
To No.42 Squadron, Ohakea in October 1955 for fighter affiliation, drogue towing, communications and continuation flying.
Withdrawn from service in early 1957.
This aircraft made the last RNZAF Mustang flight from Ohakea to Woodbourne on 30 May 1957 prior to being stored at Woodbourne from 30 July 1957.
Sold by GSB Tender Number 5926 to W. Ruffell, Blenheim in May 1958.
To J. Smith, Mapua 1964.
To Biggin Hill Trust, RNZAF Ohakea August 2020